Friday, September 5, 2008

Fast Taco

When we moved to Chatsworth our dear friend, hometown boy, and vegetarian Joshy D was most elated, I think, to learn that Chatsworth now had a branch of lard-free, trans-fat free, majorly delicious Poquito Mas. So we were going to Poquito Mas a lot and marvelling at how they could get something so simple (the burrito) so right, while other chains (Baja Fresh, La Salsa, etc) were all so tasteless.  And then one day Joshy D said that if we liked Poquito Mas, we would love his high school haunt, Fast Taco, which he had abandoned due to their use of lard.

He waxed on and on about it, which I took with a bit of a grain of salt, because Joshy D loves EVERYTHING (other things he has raved about for months on end include the film Blame it On Rio- when Joshy D likes something, he LOVES it).  But eventually I took Nathan there for lunch, because I have nothing against lard- in fact, I like lard- and their carne asada burrito was phenomenal.  They serve it with grilled scallions and lime and it is the perfect balance of meat, salsa, cheese and tortilla, with just the right amount of guacamole and sour cream.  And about a dollar cheaper and much faster than Poquito Mas.  

For a while Nathan and I went every Friday, when he was at the age where he would sit in a high chair (they have a tiny dining area, but they have a high chair with a tray, a restaurant rarity) and gnaw on tortilla.  Then he got less easy to keep still so we'd get it to go.  We were going to get some today but were struck by the downside of Fast Taco- the incredibly jampacked parking lot.  I'll have to just drag Jeff tomorrow- worst case scenario he can go in and get the food while we circle the lot.  Because after writing three paragraphs about Fast Taco I really, really need some Fast Taco.

2 comments:

teryll said...

What a trip. I'm a valley girl and used to live in the apartments off Chatsworth and Lassen. GO VALLEY GO! I now live in Indiana. Anyhoo, check out my food blog if you're interested!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.