Thursday, January 1, 2009

Los Toros

Jeff has a fondness in his heart for Los Toros ( 21743 Devonshire Street, Chatsworth) that can only be explained by his having grown up with it. Perhaps if I hadn't eaten so many sopes at Benito's in high school I wouldn't think it was so great, either. But I am pretty sure Benito's would kill Los Toros in a taste test any day. I am pretty sure there are frozen burritos that could take Los Toros in a taste test, though. The one  plus is that they bring an addictive bean dip with the chips. I think if you go and just stick with bean dip you'll be okay.

Jeff had a shredded beef burrito that was completely bland. He said later that he thought he didn't "order the right thing." He has been eating there for over 20 years and still  hasn't figured out the right thing.Nathan fared better with the kids quesadilla. It is hard to mess up preshredded cheese on a tortilla.  

I went for broke with the appetizer platter- Jeff ordered it the last time he was there and swore it was delicious. He later said, "Well, it was good with margaritas." Probably all of Los Toros' food would be good with lots, and lots, of margaritas.  But when only under the influence of iced tea, it's pretty awful.  The carnitas were at least edible.

I've resolved for 2009 to not return to Los Toros- I regret it every time. Jeff can go back with his high school pals and continue to enjoy whatever it is about this place that I am missing.

No comments: